These examples give a flavour of how we have helped our clients where they may have an international dimension.
Our international expertise includes:
- Advising a UK based seller in relation to the sale of a UK trading business to a Swedish-listed buyer.
- Advising a UK business on its set design and build services to Disney’s forthcoming production of “Frozen” on Broadway.
- Advising on data analytics of software licensing agreements with Exxon Mobil in US.
- Advising large Indian pharmaceutical company on their key employee UK contracts of employment and also liaising with German and French lawyers in relation to local contracts of employment in those jurisdictions.
- Advising European HQ of US medical instruments manufacturer on UK redundancies.
- Advising German parent company on dismissal of UK sales representative.
- Defending the UK subsidiary of a US precision foil resister manufacturer against a claim for compensation by a whistleblower.
- Acting for a renowned international business intelligence company in relation to a copyright dispute with a photographer based in Germany.
- Acting on behalf of a French mutual insurance company and an Italian loss adjusting service company in connection with a complex contractual dispute against Newline Underwriting Management Limited (a Lloyd’s syndicate based in London).
- Acting for a Malaysian company dealing in commodities in connection with a fraud perpetrated by persons pretending to be from our client’s supplier company. The monies paid by our client to the fraudsters have been frozen by NatWest and we have been instructed to assist the client with forcing NatWest to release the frozen monies back to our client.
- Acting on behalf of an international German company (a leading solution provider of energy efficient temperature and humidity management technology) in connection with a dispute regarding installation of cooling equipment. The matter has involved attending a settlement meeting and dealing with jurisdictional issues.
- Enforcing a Judgment in New Zealand.
- Issuing proceedings against debtors in the US and the Seychelles.
- Professional negligence claims where our client is an offshore Special Purpose Vehicle.
- Acting on a commodities and finance dispute in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Private Client
Our international expertise includes:
- Advising a husband with assets in the U.S. including property and pensions. Couple are taking tax advice in the U.S. re the property and we will need to instruct a pension expert in the states in due course. Total assets £3.5 million with £900,000 in pension.
- Advising a high net worth wife in divorce and financial remedy proceedings against a husband who was a Partner in a large international law firm. The case involved complex issues regarding the parties’ pensions and husband’s income position. Other assets included various portfolios and complex Trust structures.
- Advising a husband who is a Senior Manager in a large international publicly/listed company. The case involved complex financial issues of an international element given that the wife was German. Advice was needed to avoid litigation in the German Courts.
- Advising Russian Nationals on a purchase of a luxury new property in St George’s Hill for just over £13,000,000. Taking instructions, exchanging and completing in 23 days.
- Advising a high net worth wife in divorce and financial remedy proceedings against a husband who was a Director of an international/publicly listed company in the UAE. The case involved complex issues regarding pensions and other assets, including properties and husband’s large income, which was the subject of dispute concerning maintenance both in this jurisdiction and over in the UAE.
- Advising on a contested probate case with offshore trust issues which went for a two week trial in the Royal Courts of Justice.
- Contesting a probate case involving a pan-European trace for an individual (a co-trustee).
- Advising non-resident owners of UK residential property in respect of their UK tax reporting obligations on a sale and assisting with necessary filings, notably non-resident CGT and ATED returns.
- Advising on the ‘de-enveloping’ of residential property held through corporate entities such as BVI companies.
- Assisting with residence and domicile queries and advising on the implications of the statutory residence test.
- Advising resident non-domiciled individuals on the application of the remittance basis of taxation and their obligations.
- Advising UK resident settlors and beneficiaries of foreign trusts in respect of their UK tax obligations.