We are working with an increasing number of schools which are choosing to join forces in merger arrangements. The intention is invariably to secure a stronger, combined school. There are numerous possibilities including: simple sharing of resources, single sex schools merging to form a fully co-educational setting or a prep school and secondary school joining to cater for all ages.
There are important considerations both legal and practical:
- How should the merger be structured?
- How does TUPE (the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006) affect the proposals and what practical/commercial solutions exist?
- How can pupils and parents be retained?
- How can the school’s reputation be preserved?
- How can governor liabilities be managed?
We will talk you through the various options and help you decide on the best approach for your school.