Digital technology is rapidly changing. Risks and challenges arise frequently from new technological developments and from the management of data and content in cyberspace.
Our well-regarded technology practice embraces all aspects of technology and information law and all digital media issues. Our technology lawyers act for individuals, start-up and medium-sized companies as well as listed PLCs.
The Barlow Robbins team has years of expertise in creating the appropriate contractual documentation you need whether you are developing, licencing or supporting software and digital media platforms or making contracts with consumers online. We have helped a number of start-up ventures in the development of new apps and platform that may have the potential to revolutionise how certain specific services and entertainment properties are delivered. We appreciate the considerable legal challenges posed by “disruptive” technologies.
On a cost-effective basis, we can also help you to manage the risks arising from the need to protect your intellectual property and the personal data of your contacts and customers. We also handle issues relating to online defamation, breach of confidential information, privacy rights, intellectual infringements and other unlawful conduct in the digital space.
Our client portfolio includes cloud services providers, financial technology companies, website traders, schools and charities and new social media entities. We have client relationships in many parts of the world and contacts of all kinds who can provide contingent services and support for clients that have international business.
Examples of the matters we can help you with are as follows:
- Cloud services and hosting provision
- Confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements
- Corporate transactions for technology companies
- Data protection issues for organisations and individuals ranging from advice on compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), privacy notices, processor and data sharing agreements and contracts relating to the transfer of data internationally. We also deal with all GDPR enforcement issues including subject access and erasure requests, data breach notifications and investigations by the Information Commissioner’s Office
- Digital content and social media issues such as privacy, defamation, intellectual property breaches and confidential information disclosure
- Dispute resolution in connection with technology procurement and online content
- E-commerce trading terms and policies that are compliant with consumer legislation
- Employment services
- Hardware and infrastructure provision agreements
- Intellectual property issues, in particular the protection of software copyright and database rights
- Outsourcing of information technology services
- Software customisation, development, licensing, support, sale and re-sale agreements
- Website, app and platform development agreements
"Barlow Robbins is recommended for outsourcing, data protection, e-commerce, software, cloud computing and hosting matters."
Legal 500 2017
"Laurie Heizler is very knowledgeable and thorough."
Legal 500 2017